Cholesterol lowering foods
Following is the detail list of various cholesterol lowering foods. Keep adding them in your diet and do good amount of exercise daily to improve your cholesterol levels.
- Include beans in all forms: dry, cooked and canned. Also have lentils and peas. These are low in fat and have a low glycemic index.
- Adopt olive oil. Olive oil is rich in mono-saturated fatty acids and vitamin E. Olive and its products promote the reduction of bad cholesterol and increase of good cholesterol.
- Have fat-free or low fat dairy products. Low fat milk, fat free milk and skimmed milk yoghurt are high in calcium, which is essential for the smooth functioning of the heart and prevention of osteoporosis.
- Have garlic and other members of this family like spring onions and onions.
- Have all soya products, soya granules, milk, nuggets and tofu. They are rich in dietary fiber and protective nutrients including minerals and B vitamins.
- Omega-3 is helpful. People who eat omega-3 rich fish three or more times a week are at a lower risk of heart disease. The best fish are salmon, tuna, trout and sardines. Other goods rich in omega-3 fatty acids are flax seeds, walnuts.
- Have natural antioxidants. Fruits and vegetables help to lower cholesterol levels, but particulery vitamin C and beta- cartone are more helpful. Vitamin-C rich foods include all citrus fruits, berries, guavas, the entire cabbage family as well as capsicums. Beta-carotene rich foods include dark yellow orange fruits and vegetables and all green leafy vegetables.
- Whole foods and fiber are essential. Whole-grains, unsifted flour and unprocessed grains are rich in Vitamin-B, minerals and dietry fibre and low in fat and cholesterol. Eat oats or muesli daily to keep a check on the cholesterol.
- Fenugreek seeds can help. Have them either powdered or soaked or have sprouted fenugreek seeds.