India On Paris Climate Agreement

By : | 0 Comments | On : September 24, 2021 | Category : Uncategorized

The long-term temperature objective of the Paris Agreement is to keep the global average temperature rise well below 2°C (3.6°F) above pre-industrial levels; and continue efforts to limit the increase to 1.5°C (2.7°F), which will significantly reduce the risks and effects of climate change. This should be done by reducing emissions as quickly as possible in order to “achieve, in the second half of the twenty-first century, a balance between anthropogenic emissions from sources and greenhouse gas reductions from sinks”. It also aims to increase the parties` ability to adapt to the negative effects of climate change and to “reconcile financial flows with a path towards low greenhouse gas emissions and climate-resilient development”. It is unclear to what extent the alleged reduction of 21% between 2005 and 2014 is due to concerted action on climate change. By way of comparison, China claimed in its own NDC to have reduced the CO2 intensity of its GDP by 33.8 percent over the same period. In order to build a low-carbon future and reduce climate change, the Indian government is committed to providing expansionary capabilities in solar and wind power and taking a series of ambitious measures to combat climate change. As a result, the country has made good progress in achieving its goals of the Paris Agreement. It is essential that, under the Paris Agreement, countries have defined for the first time national action plans called “Intended Nationally Determined Contributions” (INDCs) setting targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Although they are not legally binding, they are based on the principle of Common but Differentiated Responsibilities (CBDR), while recognizing that the commitments of developing countries must be seen in the context of their economic and social boundaries. This strategy included energy and climate policy, including the 20/20/20 targets, namely the 20% reduction in carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, the increase in the market share of renewable energy to 20% and a 20% increase in energy efficiency. [12] The US and China – which together account for 40% of global carbon emissions – formally joined the global Paris climate agreement earlier this month.

Read more: Climate emergency: India says it can only aim to implement measures already promised in the fight against climate change “The in-depth investigation has shown that the commitments made by rich, middle and poor countries, with a few exceptions, are not enough to fight climate change. The promises are simply far too little, too late,” said Robert Watson, former chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and co-author of the report. Ajay Mathur, director general of the Energy and Research Institute (TERI) and India`s top negotiator and spokesperson at the 2015 Paris conference, said the US role in future negotiations, despite its exit from the Paris Agreement, was in reality more nuanced. He said the United States remains a member of the UNFCCC, under which the Paris Agreement was ratified, and will therefore participate in annual conferences where countries negotiate climate change. The “Truth Behind the Climate Pledges” report, published by the Universal Ecological Fund, a US-based non-profit research organization on climate change issues, proposed a study of climate commitments by a panel of experts from the UK, US, Argentina and Austria. The experts, composed of climate scientists and scientific organizations, assessed countries against their commitments to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and identified weaknesses in voluntary commitments. . . .

Share This Post!