- Servings : 5
- Prep Time : 1m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 30m
Phaanu is also made of dals (lentils) like chainsoo, but in this case the dals are soaked in water for about 4 to 6 hours before its use. A different variety of dals like- Gahat, Arhar or green Mung can be used to prepare Phanu. It can be eaten with rice as well as chapati.
- Arhar Dal: 1 cup
- Refined Oil: 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds or Jakhiya: 1 tsp
- Tomato: 2
- Green Chillies: 3
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 tsp
- Heeng: 1 pich
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Water: 3 cups
- Salt to taste
1. Wash and soak arhar dal in water for 2 hour.
2. Grind the dal into a dry thick paste in a mixer or on a Silbatta (Grindstones) along with green chillies, garlic and ginger and tomato.
3. Heat oil in the Kadahi and add garlic cloves, When the garlic turns light brown, add cumin seeds or jakhiya seeds and heeng. Now add dal paste, turmeric powder, dry coriander powder and salt.
4. After 3 to 4 minute and then add boiled water and again rotate the Spoon accordingly unless and until paste become thick and little heavy.
5. The gravy should have pouring consistency. If thick add some more water and heat till it boils.
6. Cook for about 25 minutes on slow fire.
7. Garnish with pure ghee and chopped coriander leaves. Serve with steamed rice.